a large fruit like a nut with a thick, hard, brown shell containing hard, white flesh that can be eaten and a clear liquid B1 [ U ] the white flesh of the coconut, often used in cooking
a large fruit that grows on trees in hot countries. Coconuts are brown and hard on the outside, and they have sweet white food and liquid inside.
co‧co‧nut /ˈkəʊkənʌt $ ˈkoʊ-/ BrE AmE noun
[Date: 1600-1700; Origin: coco 'coconut' (16-18 centuries) (from Portuguese, 'grinning face'; because the bottom of a coconut, with its three spots, looks like a face) + nut]
1. [countable] the large brown seed of a tropical tree, which has a hard shell containing white flesh that you can eat and a milky liquid that you can drink:
large tropical gardens of coconut palms
2. [uncountable] the white flesh of a coconut, often used in cooking:
desiccated coconut (=dried coconut)
co·co·nut [coconut coconuts] [ˈkəʊkənʌt] [ˈkoʊkənʌt] noun
1. countable the large nut of a tropical tree called a coconut palm. It grows inside a hard shell and contains a soft white substance that can be eaten and juice that can be drunk.
2. uncountable the soft white substance inside a coconut, used in cooking
• desiccated coconut
• coconut biscuits/cookies
• coconut oil
• She broke open the coconut and drank its sweet milk.
• a bay fringed with swaying coconut palms
• huge bunches of fresh coconuts
coconut / ˈkəʊ.kə.nʌt / / ˈkoʊ- / noun
B1 [ C ] a large fruit like a nut with a thick, hard, brown shell containing hard, white flesh that can be eaten and a clear liquid B1 [ U ] the white flesh of the coconut, often used in cooking:
1) N-COUNT A coconut is a very large nut with a hairy shell, which has white flesh and milky juice inside it.
...the smell of roasted meats mingled with spices, coconut oil and ripe tropical fruits.
2) N-UNCOUNT Coconut is the white flesh of a coconut.
Desiccated coconut is used by confectioners and cake makers for its flavour.
co·co·nut /ˈkoʊkəˌnʌt/ noun, pl -nuts
1 [count] : a large fruit that has a thick shell with white flesh and liquid inside it and that grows on a palm tree - see color picture
2 [noncount] : the white flesh of a coconut
• The pastry is covered with shredded coconut.
• a piece of coconut