1. give birth (to somebody) if a woman gives birth, she produces a baby from her body:
Patsy was celebrating last night after giving birth to twins.
give birth (to somebody)
give ˈbirth (to sb/sth) idiom
to produce a baby or young animal
• She died shortly after giving birth.
• Mary gave birth to a healthy baby girl.
• (figurative) It was the study of history that gave birth to the social sciences.
Main entry: birthidiom
Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary - 4th Edition
B2 When a woman or female animal gives birth, she produces a baby or young animal from her body:
She gave birth to twins.
Our cat gave birth last night.
figurative This extraordinary experience gave birth to (= gave him the idea for) his latest novel.
© Cambridge University Press 2013
1 of a mother : produce a baby from the body
• Did she give birth in a hospital or at home?
- usually + to
• He was present when his wife gave birth to his daughter.
• Our cat gave birth to four kittens.
2 : to cause the beginning of something - + to
• a revolution that gave birth to a new nation