a person who sings, or whose job is singing, especially in public:
an opera singer
sing‧er S3 /ˈsɪŋə $ -ər/ BrE AmE noun [countable]
[Word Family: noun: singer, singing; verb: sing; adjective: unsung]
someone who sings
pop/opera/folk etc singer
her favourite pop singer
a famous Italian opera singer
the lead singer (=main singer) of Slade
Tina Turner’s backing singers (=people who sing with her)
sing·er [singer singers] [ˈsɪŋə(r)] [ˈsɪŋər] noun
a person who sings, or whose job is singing, especially in public
• She's a wonderful singer.
• an opera singer
singer noun C
• the band's lead singer
vocalist • • musician • • artist • • performer • • entertainer •
a talented/famous singer/vocalist/musician/artist/performer/entertainer
• A local singer belted out the national anthem.
• I was just a lounge singer in a Key West bar.
• Our wedding singers are the best in Las Vegas.
• She will perform with two guest singers.
• Singers took turns to perform songs they had written.
• a singer who sounds like Rufus Wainwright
• a soulful jazz singer
• an aspiring concert singer
• an interview with the band's lead singer
sing (MAKE MUSIC) /sɪŋ/
verb [I or T] sang, sung
to make musical sounds with the voice, usually a tune with words:
The children sang two songs by Schubert at the school concert.
We were woken early by the sound of the birds singing.
Your grandmother would like you to sing for/to her.
[+ two objects] Will you sing us a song/sing a song to us?
She sang her baby to sleep every night.
Pavarotti is singing Rodolfo (= singing the part of Rodolfo) in 'La Boheme' at La Scala this week.
Please sing UK up/US out (= sing louder).
singer /ˈsɪŋ.əʳ/ US /-ɚ/
a person who sings:
Kiri Te Kanawa is a famous singer from New Zealand.
A singer is a person who sings, especially as a job.
My mother was a singer in a dance band.
...Dame Joan Sutherland, one of the great opera singers of the century.
sing·er /ˈsɪŋɚ/ noun, pl -ers [count] : someone who sings
• My sister is a pretty good singer. especially; : a performer who sings
• He is the lead singer in the band.
• a country/opera/pop/rock singer