door‧way /ˈdɔːweɪ $ ˈdɔːr-/ noun [countable]
the space where a door opens into a room or building
in the doorway
There was Paolo, standing in the doorway.
door·way [doorway doorways] [ˈdɔːweɪ] [ˈdɔːrweɪ] noun
an opening into a building or a room, where the door is
• She stood in the doorway for a moment before going in.
• homeless people sleeping in shop doorways
• We passed through the doorway and found ourselves in a walled garden.
• We sheltered in a shop doorway.
• the doorway to the living room
doorway /ˈdɔː.weɪ/ US /ˈdɔːr-/
the space in a wall where a door opens, or a covered area just outside a door